Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Enjoying the Rains


Alas...the rains are here...A lot of people I know abhor this season a lot, but I have a strong liking for this special time of the year. For some its muddy roads and spoilt clothes but may be for my childhood days in Shillong, for me it’s a time to reminisce my sweet childhood memories.


The paper boats races with friends in the hilly streams…the football games in the school playground with ankle deep water…cycling in water filled puddles and fields….catching fishes/tadpoles in the dirtiest of drains….. to the late night tip..tap..tip.. rhythms which were no less pleasing than sweet lullabies. My father used to somehow find some time to give me a cycle ride, with me at the front, cycling at the above ankle water. What was more pleasing than the all above was, being inside a warm cozy quilt on a rainy night with the raindrops nosily dancing on the tin roof...The sound is near music to my ears.

Sadly, none of these are possible to be experienced in the concrete jungles where we stay to make a living. Life has taken a back seat now. But still I can figure out activities, which we can do during the rains….this time


1>Long Drives: Though I have driven during rains and I enjoy it a lot, I have never tried long drives during monsoon. I wish I do get a chance to do that sometime.

2>Sipping Tea in Balcony: This is something which I have done on almost all rainy days when I need not be in the prison called office. Looking at the rains splash on the ground..over grass….is a very pleasant experience.

3>Walking: Cleanliness freaks should stay out of it. So should people allergic to mudJ. Others can take a walk and get wet…..This is best done on Fridays…..so that you don’t have office at the back of your mind and you still have 2 days to recover from a fever/cold which cannot be ruled out

4>Sleeping…:Of course this is the most nice thing to do when its raining and you have the luxury of staying indoors. After a sumptuous hot spicy meal, this is next to nothing.


So, its up to you…whether you want a dull monsoon….or a thrilling one….take your pick…also pick one/all from my prescribed activities



3 comments:

  1. hmm good one dada...looks like there is a hidden talent in you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No drinking... sitting in the balcony and seeing the raining going down... We can easily count the rain drops after couple of drinks :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly well written....there was a natural touch throughout your narration that made me feel I was right out there in the rains.... Reading it also got me running into my school day memories. Rainy season is the best and as you very rightly mentioned, is truly enjoyed in the open....

    ReplyDelete

Your valuable comments are awaited